Memorial Day 2009 - Hurricane, UT - Bunkerville & Mesquite, NV
We visited my parents house over Memorial Day weekend and were able to visit two graveyards full of our ancestors. At first, I thought we were pretty weird to be smiling and taking pictures around a bunch of graves. Kind of eerie. But it was a very reverent experience and I'm glad we did it. It gave me time to reflect on what has been sacrificed so that I can enjoy all that I have been blessed with.
We visitied the grave of our ancestor Dudley Leavitt. I believe he's my 3rd great-grandfather. He practiced polygamy and married 4 wives - each having about 11-13 children. 55 children total! Busy man!! I am related to Thirza Riding Leavitt - Dudley's 3rd wife.
I love reading about Thirza - my 3rd great-grandmother. It says on her gravestone that her nickname was "Toggy" because she was all "togged up" meaning well dressed. "She appreciated decorum and propriety. Her philosophy relating to edibles was if we eat our best first, what we have left will still be the best."
Mom & Dad kneeling by the grave of Delores Barnum Susov - my dad's aunt or my great aunt. She died of MS in 2000.
All of my siblings (except for Nathan) and neices/nephews:
Front row L-R: Tommy & Lauren, Me & Gretta, Gavin
Back row L-R: Jessica, Nate & Caiya, Layla & Tim, Kurtis, Jessica, Jake & Sean
Layla mothering a neighbor's kitten.
Grandma Lynne & Gretta
The last day in Hurricane, there were thunder showers. We went outside and saw this gorgeous rainbow.
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Posted by
Allison
at
8:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
Very cool Allison, I am impressed that you got the whole family to go with you to learn about your ancestors. Your kids are getting cuter and cuter. Miss you guys
Post a Comment